If you live in places that are warm and dry, evaporative coolers are must-haves. Also called swamp coolers, they will help in fighting humidity. It uses moisture to cool air, which will have a huge impact on your health and comfort. It will take warm air outside and blow cool air to your home.
To guarantee the effectiveness of a swamp cooler, one of the most important parts is the pad. It requires care and maintenance. There will come a point when it will need a replacement, and this is when you should be looking for the best swamp cooler pads. If you are clueless about what to choose, keep on reading and learn from the insights we’ll share in this brief buying guide.
Reviews of Top 5 Picks for the Best Swamp Cooler Pads
If you are clueless about the swamp cooler pad to purchase, below are the top products that should make it on your list.
1. Dial 3437 Mastercool Cooler Pad
One thing that we like the most is its durability. This is one thing that we can attribute to the heavy-cellulose construction. With its high-density construction, you can expect that it will be long-lasting.
Aside from the main material that is used, the durability of this cooler pad is also because it contains other materials, such as plastic resins. It also has anti-rotting agents, which will make it resist wear.
As it has been shared by many of its users, this can be prone to a foul odor. This is one thing that most of you will surely not like. However, there are also many people who noted that this is only temporary. After a while, the odor will vanish.
In terms of compatibility, this is designed for single inlet evaporative coolers, especially for AeroCool and MasterCool coolers.
- Durable construction
- Easy to clean
- Has a high air velocity
- Can have a foul odor
- The cut can be too narrow
2. Diversitech EL3030-2 E-lite Plastic Condensing Unit Pad
This is another great pick for buyers on a budget. The low price, however, does not mean that the quality is also low. It might not be a premium model but based on the reviews from many of its users, it seems to be doing its job pretty well.
The fact that it is made of plastic can be an issue for some people. Plastic does not have a good reputation because of the assertions that it can easily break. With the case of this product, the manufacturer makes sure that the plastic used will not crack, warp, or flake. The plastic is also UV-resistant, which will make it great for outdoor installation since it won’t be easily damaged by the heat of the sun.
Lastly, this is also an excellent product if you are looking for versatility. It can be used in more ways than one, so you can also expect excellent value for the money.
- Lightweight but sturdy
- Self-leveling ground support
- Plastic construction makes it repel water
- Some might find it to be hollow
3. Dial Manufacturing 3412 Spin Roll Cooler Pads
This is from the same manufacturer as the first product that we have reviewed in this guide. One of the main differences, however, is that it is in a rolled form. It is thinner and versatile. We love how you can cut it into smaller pieces depending on the size of the pad that you will need in your evaporative cooler.
Regarding its performance, many of its users agree that it works well in a variety of compatible coolers. While you can expect the best bang for the buck, however, take note of the nature of its construction. The pad has fibrous materials, which can eventually clog the cooler. Pay attention to regular care and maintenance to avoid negative impacts on the cooler’s performance.
- Can be cut into smaller sizes
- Does a great job at cooling
- Fibers can clog the cooler
- Easily prone to falling out
4. Dial 3074 Dura Cool High-Efficiency Foamed Polyester Pad
Another product from Dial, many people were happy with how affordable this product is. Despite its price, it has a decent quality. Many of its users noted that it will withstand many years of use, with some people pointing out that it can last over 15 years.
One of the best things about this product is that it has an excellent ability to hold moisture. Nonetheless, you need to clean it regularly. Water can wear down the pad, so you need proper maintenance to keep the evaporative cooler working at its peak.
For its construction, foam polyester is the main material that is used in this swamp cooler pad. It is thick and easy to cut, which also means that you can easily customize its size based on what you need.
- Excellent ability to hold moisture
- May bow because of water weight
- Can be smaller than stated size
5. Aspen Snow Cool Premier Cooler Pad
Wrapping up our list is one product that may instantly discourage many people because of its price. Nonetheless, take note that there is a reason why it is expensive. It is in bulk, so this is more expensive compared to most options in our list.
Another thing that makes it worth the price is the quality and performance. It has Grid-Flo technology, which has been exclusively developed by the manufacturer. The latter improves the stability of the fiber, unlike its cheaper counterparts that will breakdown easily. This will also eliminate sagging while preventing the cooler from being clogged.
With the use of this product, the manufacturer notes that you will enjoy up to 7% cooler air.
- Significantly improves cool air delivery
- Results in fewer pump problems
- May have foul odor
How to Choose the Best Swamp Cooler Pads
For the uninitiated, it is easy to decide based on price or the first product that one sees. However, this should not be the case. If you want your swamp cooler to deliver peak performance, here are the most important considerations.
Type of Pad
One of the first things that you need to do is to determine the type of pad that is ideal for your evaporative cooler. Here are your choices:
- Aspen Swamp Cooler Pad: This is the more common type of swamp cooler pad that you will find in the market. It is also more affordable, which we can attribute to the use of wood shavings. One of the drawbacks, however, is that it will often ask for a replacement as it gets damaged fast.
- Blue Synthetic Cooler Pad: In contrast, this is made from a synthetic material. This is a great option if you are looking for a longer-lasting swamp cooler pad. It can also be easily cleaned, which means that you can reuse the material. However, one drawback is that it does not retain water well, which will have an impact on cooling.
Aside from the type of the swamp cooler pads, the overall performance and quality will also depend on the material that will be used.
- Wood: This is the main material used in an aspen pad, which is also the most popular. Wood shavings are known for being natural. It is from shaved aspen trees. It has the perfect air and water balance.
- Cellulose: It is a spongey pad that comes with a honeycomb construction. This is a thicker material, which also means that it will be able to hold more water. It is a great choice in an environment where water evaporates quickly.
- Plastic: While plastic may be cheap, it is not as effective as cellulose or wood, which is why it isn’t a popular choice. The biggest problem with plastic is that it repels water instead of absorbing it.
Ease of Cleaning
Over time, the swamp cooler pads will be prone to dirt. This does not mean that it should have a replacement. In most instances, all that you need to do is to have it cleaned. With this, pick a product that will be effortless to clean.
For those who live in places with low humidity, a swamp cooler is a must-have. To ensure the optimal performance of the latter, however, you need the best swamp coolers, including the products mentioned above. You will feel cool and comfortable, even when it is summer. Humidity will never be a problem!